What is Prenatal Massage?
Prenatal massage is designed for mothers-to-be. Prenatal Massage help provide therapeutic bodywork that help relieve and take care of the special needs of the mother-to-be as her body. Considering the dramatic changes that Pregnancy affects on mothers-to-be, Prenatal Massages can help alleviate a variety of ailments associated with Pregnancy. For instance, Prenatal Massage enhances the function of muscles and joints, improves circulation and general body tone, and relieves mental and physical fatigue. This massage form is gentle, non-invasive and provides benefits for the body and mind.
Benefits for the body and mind
The benefits of prenatal massage include a wide range of physiological, emotional and psychological benefits.
- Assists in remedying many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy: muscular discomforts, lower-back pain, upper-back pain, headaches, leg cramps, sciatica, stiffness, tension and knots, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, heartburn and acid reflux, fatigue, varicose veins, nasal congestion, shortness of breath, edema of the lower extremities, neck pain, interscapular pain, sacroiliac and hip joint pain and constipation
- Alleviates stress on weight-bearing joints and musculo-fascial structures
- Increases blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and fetus and stimulates the lymph system, thereby increasing immunity and removal of toxins
- Soothes and relaxes the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body. As a result, the expectant mother feels more relaxed and at ease, and will also sleep more easily and more deeply
- Stabilizes hormonal levels
- Assists in maintaining good posture and adjusting to a changing alignment caused by the baby’s increasing weight. Massage increases muscle tone and flexibility, enhancing the ability to carry this extra weight while also relieving aches and pains, leg cramps and muscle spasms
- Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues
- Supports the return of blood to the heart and increases blood flow to the uterus and placenta.
- Prepares the mother-to-be for an easier delivery with its sedating effect on the nervous system, promoting relaxation and stress relief
- Offers a natural, safe, drug-free alternative choice for pain relief, since taking medications are often limited during a pregnancy for the sake of the unborn child