What is Pelvic Floor Therapy?
Many people don’t know it but the pelvic floor muscles play an important role in the body’s bladder and bowel function. Although these muscles are hidden from view, they can be consciously controlled through pelvic floor therapy. The more consistent you are at doing these exercises, the stronger your pelvic floor muscles will be. This can help stop urinary incontinence, pelvic pain, prolapse, and even help improve sex.
How Pelvic Floor Therapy Can Help You
Pelvic floor therapy is known to help with the following conditions:
- Urinary problems
- Bowel issues like constipation, strain + pain
- Pain in lower back areas like the pelvic region, genital area, or rectum
- Pelvic pain associated with endometriosis, interstitial cystitis + prostatitis
- Pain during intercourse, orgasm, or stimulation
- Ejaculation problems
- Organ prolapse
- Pre and post pregnancy problems including labor, delivery, pain, leakage, bulging, tearing, scarring from C-section + episiotomy
- Pediatric incontinence
- Cancer-related problems
- Mastitis, blocked ducts +breast inflammatory conditions
Our experienced therapist will assess the muscles in your pelvic area. They may also perform several tests like checking your breathing pattern, spine, hips + reflexes.
During treatment, your physiotherapist will help you identify your pelvic muscles correctly and provide a customized muscle training program just for you. This may include targeted exercises, movements, yoga +pilates. You will also be educated on your pelvic floor muscles, so you can perform these exercises at home. Your goal is to help improve your movement, strength + coordination so you can resume doing activities you love the most.
Benefits of Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Improved bladder control + bowel function
- Reduce risk of prolapse (sagging of internal organs)
- Better recovery from childbirth + surgery
- Enhanced sexual sensation + orgasm potential
- Relieve back pain
- Stronger abdominal muscles
- Improve quality of life
Licensed and Trained
Our team of physiotherapists specialize in pelvic floor therapy to help improve your overall health and quality of life. Charlton Physio caters to both men and women – from new mothers to recovering surgery patients to elite athletes, helping them reduce or eliminate pelvic dysfunction using clinically validated methods.
We understand that pelvic pain can be debilitating. That’s why our ultimate goal is to treat the root of the problem, not just the symptom. Now you can get back to your daily activities without being disrupted by pain and discomfort.
Ready to give your pelvic floor muscles the care they deserve? Contact us today to book an appointment with one of our physiotherapists in Hamilton.
Are you ready to become pain free? Book an appointment today.